- This event has passed.
Bridgwater Town Deal Open Event
October 19, 2023 @ 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Bridgwater residents and businesses will be able to find out more about the opportunities and benefits that the £23.2million Bridgwater Town Deal investment will bring at a community-focused open event on Thursday 19 October, taking place from 2pm until 7pm at the Town Hall Theatre.
The free-of-charge event will comprise an exhibition space for each of the eleven local projects that make up the Bridgwater Town Deal, as well as providing an overview of this exciting initiative. It will give the local community an opportunity to meet the people behind the projects, ask any questions they may have, and share feedback with the teams driving these developments.
Bridgwater was chosen as one of 101 towns that would receive investment through the government’s Towns Fund scheme as part of its Levelling Up programme. The £23.2million government funding aims to ‘level up’ the area and create a vibrant and welcoming town centre. This will be achieved by revitalising the social, cultural and economic offerings in town centre, as well as unlocking future growth by resolving traffic congestion and protecting the area from tidal flooding
Bridgwater Town Deal Projects
The eleven Bridgwater Town Deal projects are:
- Tidal Barrier: Major infrastructure project that will protect Bridgwater town centre from flooding, unlocking housing and employment growth.
- Dunball Junction: Regional infrastructure project that will reduce congestion, enabling the continued growth and regeneration of the town.
- Walking and Cycling: Improved walking and cycling routes to boost sustainable travel options, connecting key employment and leisure areas.
- Celebration Mile: Improvements to public realm in order to open new places and spaces within the town centre and boost the local cultural events programme.
- Restoration of the Docks: Restoration of the historic docks quarter to create a vibrant new leisure and tourism destination.
- Arts Centre: Enhancing the facilities and improving accessibility at this historic Grade I listed building to support local artists and cultural events.
- Town Hall Theatre: Transforming this central cultural facility and providing inclusive access to office and meeting spaces for community and social enterprises.
- Engine Room 2.0: Increased capacity for community media centre, engaging people with digital art and media-enhancing skills.
- Bridgwater ‘Step up’: Flexible business and enterprise support hub, including creative ‘pop-up’ and ‘taster-event’ space and support.
- Bridgwater Carnival: Development of Carnival workshop space to future-proof and enhance Carnival events.
- Town Wardens/Event Ambassadors: A friendly, visible presence within the town centre to connect local residents and businesses, and to reduce anti-social behaviour in the town, building confidence for visitors.