It’s Shop Local Week!
Monday 10th August, 2020
The Shop Local campaign launches on 10 August 2020 and will run for one week. It is part of the Government’s #EnjoySummerSafely umbrella campaign, which is running all summer.
The Shop Local campaign is about celebrating the British high street. We’re encouraging customers to come back to their safe local shops, supporting the local economy and local jobs.
How to get involved:
Please support local small businesses in your community by visiting your local high street this week. That could be as simple as popping out to your favourite greengrocer, bakery or florist – or any other local shop. We’d love it if you could:
- Tell us about your visit/s on social media, using the hashtag #ShopLocal and tagging @BEISgovuk (more handles for different platforms below).
- Tag your local favourite shops and tell them about the campaign.
- Check the guidelines and follow #EnjoySummerSafely to help you find other ways to enjoy summer safely: gov.uk/enjoy-summer-safely.
No one is better placed than local small businesses to explain what’s special about shopping locally. What can your business offer to customers that they cannot get elsewhere? What makes the customer experience in your store unique and different to what they get online? You know your customers best. Help us spark a conversation about the benefits in your area.
We’d love it if you could:
- Use your social media accounts to join the conversation, telling us why your community should shop local, using #ShopLocal, to help encourage customers back to the shops. The more personalised to your community, the better.
- Post photos, gifs, videos, Boomerangs [on Instagram] that illustrate your key messages. For example, a photo with your staff; an Instagram Story showing off some local produce; or maybe a short video showing how you’ve made your shop safe. Don’t forget to tag @BEISgovuk so we can repost (more handles for different platforms below).
- Share this toolkit with other businesses in your area to help them do the same.
Whether you’re a government department or public body, council or local organisation, business group or charity – we need your help to reach local audiences asking them to support this campaign.
We’d love it if you could:
- Share this toolkit now with your networks – make sure that as many businesses as possible can get involved.
- Post your support for the campaign during the week of 10 August. You can find branded assets to help with this here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12kbF9ujF-qi78xNkwhUWr_aaOCcTGH3h?usp=sharing
These will be updated as the campaign progresses, so please do check back in that folder. You can also find a narrative for the campaign in that folder, which you can use on your intranet or in newsletters.
- Amplify BEIS, partner, and local posts on social media – see our handles below.
When you are posting your own content, please always use #ShopLocal and tag us so we can find your content. We cannot reshare on some platforms if you don’t tag us, so don’t forget to use our handles if you’d like us to amplify your post to a wider audience.
BEIS Twitter – @beisgovuk
BEIS Facebook – @industrialstrategygovuk
BEIS Instagram – @beisgovuk
If you have any questions or need further information, please contact the relevant person using the details below: